Tuesday 11 November 2014

Remembrance

Lest we forget.

Where most folks are enjoying  Hallowe'en at this time of year, it is Remembrance Day that I appreciate.  In class this week, we discussed what living in Canada affords us.  We need to be grateful for our many blessing in this country.  To take this further, the students were to explain how they could show respect for their blessings.  They came up with some pretty amazing answers.  The following is just a few. . .

I am grateful for water.  I respect it by keeping it clean and not wasting it.

I am grateful for peace.  I respect this by getting along on the playground.

I am grateful for freedom.  I respect that as a girl I get to go to school.

I am grateful for our earth.  I respect this by not littering.

Reading these thoughtful responses and listening to the angelic singing today in our Remembrance Ceremony, makes me feel grateful and  proud to live in Canada.  I am allowed so many rights and freedoms.

We shall be doing our Spelling Test for Lesson 8 and starting Lesson 9 on Wednesday.  I believe their is a direct correlate with the  results of the Spelling Tests  and the amount of time spent practicing the words.  Thus, I would suggest each error be written out ten times.  I have told the students they have a choice to practice before the test or after the test.  Please have the corrections returned to school.  Also, I have begun to adjust spelling words to make them appropriate to each student's ability.
We have begun to talk about genre, specifically non fiction and fiction writing.  Ask you child what the difference between the two.  Ask your child to tell you the difference?

We will be coming to the end of Unit 2 - Whole Numbers in Math and I have planned to have the Unit Test on November 21st, 2014.  Although basic facts are improving, especially addition and subtraction, daily practice would really be very beneficial.  If you would like more pages for the duo tangs, please send them back to school.  Or the student's can practice on the following link
http://www.oswego.org/ocsd-web/games/mathmagician/maths1.html.  Or, there are other sites listed on BGRS, Engaging Students, the regions website on line.

I hope everyone enjoys their break.

No comments:

Post a Comment