Saturday 29 November 2014

Rewards of being a Teacher

On October 15th, I submitted my notice to retire.  Returning to work after being away, has made me realize how much time and effort we teachers actually put in to our profession.

I began teaching later then most, and have had experience in other jobs previously.  After twenty years of dedication to teaching, I can truly say that I have never worked so hard. However, I have never had a job so rewarding. There is nothing in this world more gratifying than to see the sparkle in a child's eye when she or he has finally "gets it." Or, I have had students who I taught in elementary come back in high school and say, "Hi, remember when. . ."


The excitement, joy, humour, and yes, even the behaviours we share with our students is very fulfilling.  Since, I decided to retire I have reminisced over my past twenty years ~ so many memories ~ oh the stories I could tell.  Some stories make me laugh and others make me cry. All of them have touched my life in a profound way and make me proud to have been able to leave my mark in this profession.

My own father died only six years older than my age right now.  This has always made me realize how precious each day is and my 'Bucket List' is huge. I look forward to shortening it.  Much peace to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment